Summer in Baldwin, NY can be stiflingly hot and humid, so homeowners need a reliable air conditioner to keep their homes cool and comfortable. While AC units are built to last, they will eventually need to be replaced. With proper maintenance, however, you can extend the life of your AC unit and avoid the need for costly repairs or replacements. Here are some essential AC maintenance tips for Baldwin, NY homeowners:
1. Keep it clean.
Dirt is the enemy of all AC units. Over time, dirt and dust can build up on your unit’s filter and other components. When the parts of your AC are coated with dirt, they must work harder to function properly. It can also cause many problems, such as reduced airflow, leaks, and frozen coils. To avoid these issues, you must ensure the unit stays clean. AC maintenance services in Baldwin, NY usually include thorough system cleaning. But there are a few cleaning tasks you can handle yourself and perform between technician’s visits.
- Air Filters
Some filters can be washed, while others need replacement. Determine what kind of filter your unit uses, and find the manufacturer’s instructions about cleaning/replacing the device. Some can last for three months and even a year before requiring a replacement.
However, depending on your home’s environment, you may need to clean or replace your filters more frequently. If you have pets, for example, their fur can quickly clog a filter. To know whether your filter needs cleaning/replacement, slide the existing filter out of its compartment and hold it up against the light. If little to no light shines through, it’s time for a new filter.
If you have an air filter that can last for a year, you can just schedule AC maintenance services in Baldwin, NY annually.
The condenser is the unit installed outdoors. It is the large, boxy component that helps to cool your home by expelling hot air. Usually, this unit is placed a few centimeters away from the walls of your home and foliages. But this does not make the unit protected against dirt and debris.
Leaves, twigs, dust, and other outdoor debris may find their way and clog the condenser, preventing it from working properly. To clean the unit, first shut off the power to avoid electrocution. Then, use a garden hose to spray the unit down, being careful not to bend or damage the fins.
- Condenser drain line
The condenser also has a drain line that helps to remove water from the unit. Over time, this drain line may become clogged with dirt, debris, and algae, preventing it from draining properly. If the water is not drained properly, it can cause leaks and other issues.
To clean the drain line, first shut off the power to the unit. Then, locate the drain line and find an access point. Once you have found the access point, pour a cup of vinegar solution into the pipe and let it sit for an hour. After an hour, flush the line with clean water to remove the vinegar solution. You can also use a wet vacuum to get any blockage out.
If the clogging is severe, you can always schedule AC maintenance services in Baldwin, NY.
2. Make Sure Airflow is Unobstructed
Sufficient airflow is essential for AC units. If there is insufficient airflow, the unit will have to work harder to function properly, resulting in problems with your indoor comfort and system efficiency.
To ensure there is proper airflow, check the following:
- Air vents and registers – These should be open and unobstructed. Check to ensure nothing is blocking the vents, such as furniture, drapes, or carpets.
- Don’t completely close the registers – If you’re using a central air conditioner, you may be tempted to close the vents in unused rooms to save energy. However, this can actually put a strain on your system, reducing its efficiency.
- Outdoor unit – There should be no foliage at least two feet around the unit. If there are any bushes or trees near the unit, trim them back to ensure proper airflow.
- Straighten the bins – Bent condenser fins prevent the unit from releasing the heat properly. Use a fin comb to straighten the fins.
3. Perform a visual inspection.
Your air conditioning unit may show visible signs of problems. You only have to know what to look for. These are some of the most common issues you should look out for, indicating it’s time for AC maintenance services in Baldwin, NY.
- Holes and cracks in the ductwork – A ductwork plays a crucial role in a central air conditioning system. It is responsible for carrying cold air from the AC unit to your home. If there are holes or cracks in the ductwork, it can cause the system to leak, reducing its efficiency. Some holes and cracks can be large enough to be seen by your naked eye, so check for them.
- Ice on the coils – The coils are responsible for absorbing heat. When they ice up, it prevents the system from working properly. If you see ice on the coils, it is a sign that your system is not working correctly.
- Refrigerant leak – The refrigerant is what helps to cool the air. If there is a leak in the system, it can cause the unit to work harder, which can lead to higher energy bills. This problem doesn’t always have visible signs, but you might hear hissing noises.
- Damaged/frayed electrical wires – Exposed electrical wires can pose a serious safety hazard. If you see any damaged or frayed wires, do not attempt to fix them yourself. Shut off the power to the unit and call a professional for help.
- Mold and mildew growth – Mold and mildew can cause a musty smell and harm your health. If you see mold or mildew growth, it is a sign that there is too much moisture in the system. It’s best to get AC maintenance services in Baldwin, NY before it’s too late.
5. Don’t Procrastinate on AC Repair
When you put off AC repair, you are only amping up the overall cost and complexity of the repair. Your AC unit is like any other appliance in your home; when you ignore maintenance and needed repairs, it only leads to more costly repairs down the road. If your unit is starting to show signs that it needs repair, don’t wait to call a professional.
Here are a few signs it’s time for a repair:
- Your energy bills are rising, but you haven’t changed your AC usage.
- There is water pooling around your AC unit.
- Your unit is making strange noises.
- Your home isn’t cooling evenly.
6. Make sure to have your unit professionally serviced at least once a year.
Some maintenance tasks your air conditioner needs require special tools and knowledge. So it is best to schedule AC maintenance services in Baldwin, NY at least once a year. This will help to keep your system running smoothly and efficiently.
With professional, routine air conditioning maintenance, you can be sure your unit:
- Has sufficient refrigerant charge. The technician may check the refrigerant charge and top it off if there’s a refrigerant leak issue.
- Receives unrestricted airflow. The technician may clean your unit in and out, so it can draw in sufficient air to cool your home.
- Has a clean air filter. Aside from cleaning the filter, they may also offer replacement services (which may have an additional cost)
- Has tight electrical connections. You can be sure your unit is safe to run.
- Has Leak-free ductwork. No more air loss that would increase your energy bills.
- Has Well-lubricated moving parts. Your unit will run seamlessly for more years.
- And so much more!
The benefits you can get from routine AC maintenance services in Baldwin, NY will vary depending on what you pay for. You can ask your contractor about what’s included in their service agreement to get an idea of the value you’re getting.
Looking for Reliable AC Maintenance Services in Baldwin, NY? Talk To Us!
If you’re looking for reliable and affordable AC maintenance services in Baldwin, NY, please consider our service.
At All Weather Temperature Control, our team of experienced professionals is dedicated to providing top-quality AC maintenance services to our clients. We understand the importance of keeping your AC unit in top working condition, and we are committed to providing the best possible service to our customers. We offer a wide range of AC maintenance services in Baldwin, NY, and we are confident that we can meet your needs.
We also offer AC maintenance membership, which includes guaranteed appointments within 24 hours, 2 free tune-ups, discounted service fee, discounts on parts, discounts on emergency services, and many more.
Contact us today at (631) 842-8777 to learn more about our maintenance membership program or to schedule a consultation. You can also count on our team for other air conditioning and heating services, including installation and repair. We look forward to speaking with you soon.