Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) Ratings Explained

By ADMIN,

  Filed under: Blog    Comments: None

Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) Ratings Explained

Whether you are using a furnace or boiler to heat your Copiague, NY home, it is crucial to determine its efficiency by AFUE. What does it mean and why is it important? To clear your questions in mind, All Weather Temperature Control, Inc. offers a handy guide about AFUE – its meaning and importance. Continue reading this post to learn more!

What is AFUE?

AFUE or Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency measures the percentage of heat produced for every volume of fuel consumed per year.  Generally, heating systems are rated by their AFUE to determine their efficiency and fuel costs in a year. According to the Department of Energy, heating units with higher AFUE rating have lower fuel costs which are a favorable choice for residential and commercial owners.

For example, furnaces with AFUE rating of 80 can convert 80% of its energy into usable fuel for heating purposes while the remaining 20% may exit your home through air leaks. Meanwhile, heating systems with AFUE rating of 95 convert 95% of the oil or gas into consumable heat. High-efficiency furnaces have 90% rating while low-efficiency heating units range from 56% to 70% AFUE rating. In other cases, the rating can be much lower particularly for older units.

Why Does AFUE Matter?

As ordered by the Federal Trade Commission, all manufacturers must indicate the AFUE rating on all furnaces, boilers and other heating systems so the consumers can easily compare their efficiency ratings of different models. Make sure that your heating unit has the Energy Star label to guarantee its proficiency and quality.

If you are planning to invest in a new heating system, it is important to know its efficiency. What you need to look for is its AFUE rating. It helps you analyze the performance of your heating system in converting fuel into usable energy or heat. Knowing your unit’s AFUE rating also helps determine your annual heating expenses with precision.

Looking for High-Efficiency Furnaces? Call Us at All Weather!

Do you have plans of upgrading your heating system for winter? If you are planning to purchase a new furnace, a consultation with a certified heating contractor is a crucial step. With the guidance of professionals, you are sure that your furnace is properly sized, energy efficient and Energy Star-labeled. At All Weather Temperature Control, Inc., we offer furnaces with high AFUE ratings. We serve Copiague, NY and other surrounding areas.

If you got more questions about AFUE ratings, don’t delay calling our experts. We are more than happy to serve you! Contact us today.